Thursday, September 16, 2010

Is the Unexamined Life Worth Living?

One of the most famous philosophers EVER, Socrates
(469-399 B.C.E.), once said "The Unexamined life is not worth living", how accurate is this statement ?

   I believed that this statement is very accurate. I dont believe it is healthy or possible to live a happy if you dont inspect and question life. What's the point of living if you can't or are afraid to admit that change is needed? If certain people hadn't questioned life,why do certain things happen and why do they work one way or another then MANY of the important parts of life would not exist. For some people it is life altering, I have had an experience where I have questioned something in life and in a way it was life altering. Before I became a dolphin, my mom wanted me to attend another school (Im not gonna say the name out of respect). I accepted it and even bought the uniform, I sat down and examined and came to the conclusion that I wanted to go to a more promising school. So I talked to my mom and we came to a compromise and here I am at Whitney Young. If I hadn't questioned and examined that situation who knows what and where I would be now. It is okay to question things, in my opinion,  the more fascinating things about the world are the different people, different cultures, and different lifestyles. To not examine life is very dangerous, our mindsets and views and lives would be so backwards, unhappy, controlled, biased, and so many other things it's not able to imagine. So the Unexamined life isn't worth living, if you can't question life, why live at all? Change is something noone should be afraid of.

1 comment:

  1. i agree. living a life that has no been evaluated in any way is sort of pointless. this is kind of like going about life and never striving to do anything, just living. it seems boring.

    ReplyDelete