Sunday, January 23, 2011

King still King???

"Martin Luther King, Jr. (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968) was an American clergyman, activist, and prominent leader in the African American civil rights movement. He is best known for being an iconic figure in the advancement of civil rights in the United States and around the world, using nonviolent methods following the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi. King is often presented as a heroic leader in the history of modern American liberalism." (Wikipedia)

   So I can say that for the most part all of that above me is true. Dr. King WAS all of that but what is he now? Is still the influential leader who we look up to & respect? Well, I think that we still respect him but when someone brings up the name Dr. King it's much more different than it was years and years ago. Dr. King will always be the man & he will always be one of the most influential men in African American history but he, his voice, and his ideas aren't as powerful as they once were. I actually asked a couple of people to test this theory of mine & the results pretty much proved me right. Some said that he wasn't as invigorating anymore because the times have changed too much, and others because we have a new African American man to look up to (President Barack Obama). Nevertheless King isn't still King and it's up to us as a people to now let him fade away. Some feel like Dr. King was overrated, they feel like other influential people were overshadowed my Dr. King. Some even feel that he doesn't deserve the holiday we get a day off of school & work for. Now I'm not going to lie, I thought about him on MLK day but not as much as I should have & I'm positive I'm not the only one. When Black History month rolls around, we vaguely even have an acknowledgement at my school so you know he isn't celebrated then. I feel that Dr. King and his work/teachings were strongly taught and stressed in elementary school but when we arrived to high school it's brushed off a tad bit. We need to change this, not only for our future generation's sake but for Dr. King. He was way too much of a good man to just fade away into the cardboard box of history, and not only him, all influential people. They always say...”There is no future without the past."


No comments:

Post a Comment